Monday, November 28, 2011

Glass blowing in St. Petersburg

I can't believe it's been almost a month since I posted anything.  In that time, along with my usual doings, I took a vacation to Florida, had a week-long bout of pink eye (not fun!), and learned some new choreography and performed it (with pink eye, ugh!  Luckily we were in pirate bellydancer garb, so I just wore an eyepatch to cover one eye.  Aargh!).

One of our stops in Florida was St. Petersburg, where Carl and I each signed up for a half hour "Glass Experience" at the Morean Arts Center Hot Shop.  With the assistance of one of the resident glass artists, we got to make our own glass items.

Since it was not too long after Halloween, one of the choices of things to make was a pumpkin--we both chose that.  I chose traditional shades if orange for mine.  Carl went for purple with yellow.  Not bad for a first try.  I'll stick to polymer and gourds for now, but it was definitely a fun experience.  And now we have our very own hand-made blown-glass pumpkins to remind us of our trip.


If you're ever in St. Petersburg, FL, check this place out.  They have a nice gallery and run a separate small Chihuly museum.  There is also an excellent Salvador Dali museum nearby, which I highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment